How Do I Apply?
- Read the information carefully.
- Compile the necessary documents. If you lack any of the listed documents in the original, read here about how to obtain it.
- Complete the application form
Book an online appointment at your German Mission.
If a name declaration is necessary, you can get two appointments on the same day.
- Bring all documents in the original plus one simple (non-certified) copy. Incomplete applications cannot be submitted.
What are the Required Documents?
- Application form à link zur “Application” form einfügen
- 1 passport photo - ATTENTION: The photo must not be older than 6 months and must meet biometric specifications, see here à Verlinkung zur entsprechenden Seite einfügen
- Fee à link zu “Fees” einfügen
- Current passport and if applicable current German ID Card
- Does your current passport show a different place of residence than your current place of residence? Please bring a deregistration letter with you if your last place of residence was in Germany or in another country that has a registration system. For the registration of the new place of residence in Tanzania, proof is required, e.g. an electricity bill or a rental agreement.
- Tanzanian ID or Visa (temporary or permanent residence permit)
- Birth certificate (Tanzanian: certified by RITA)
A birth certificate in which your parents are not listed cannot be accepted.
- Proof of surname: Were you born abroad after 01.09.1986? In order to establish your surname, a German birth certificate or name certificate must be submitted. If you possess neither, read here whether a name declaration is necessary. àLink zu “Name Declaration” Seite einfügen
Exception: Is your father a German citizen and your mother has Tanzanian citizenship only and she carries your father's surname: Then a name declaration is usually not necessary, instead her Tanzanian ID or passport must be presented.
- Do you wish to carry a married name? Please submit your marriage certificate (Tanzanian: must be legalized first) and if applicable name certificate. If you do not possess a name certificate, read here whether a name declaration is necessary. à link zu “Name Declaration” Seite
- Proof of German citizenship:
Depending on various possible case constellations, you will find the required documents under the corresponding bullet point. If you yourself have a citizenship certificate, a naturalisation certificate or a letter of retention, please refer to the last bullet Point.
|You have not become a Tanzanian citizen?
|You became a Tanzanian citizen by “naturalisation”?
||Proof through certificate “determination of citizenship status” issued by the Department of Home Affairs, confirming naturalisation according to “Tanzanian Citizinship Act 1995 sec. 8ff
|You became a Tanzanian citizen by descent?
Please present this document in the original.
If you have documents that indicate the reason for your naturalisation, please also present them (e.g. naturalisation according to Article 116 II Basic Law).
In case your German citizenship was acquired by declaration after 19.08.2020, it is mandatory that you submit proof of retention of your previous citizenship, in the case of South African citizenship a ”Retention Letter“ issued by the Department of Home Affairs. If you have not yet applied for this, please contact us.
Submitting the following documents of ancestors from whom you derive German citizenship may facilitate and speed up the application:
- Certificates of citizenship (even after date of validity)
- earlier German passports and/or ID cards
- ”Vertriebenenausweis gem. §15 Bundesvertriebenengesetz“
- ”Spätaussiedlerbescheinigung gem. §15 Bundesvertriebenengesetz“
- German naturalisation certificates
Note: Not all possible cases and scenarios can be represented here. Further documentation might be required depending on your individual case.
What happens after I submitted my application?
If all required documents are submitted, we will take your fingerprints. After your appointment, we will process your application and order the printing of your passport.
It will take approximately 6-8 weeks for your passport to be produced and delivered to Tanzania. Please make sure to apply at least 3 months before the end of validity of your previous passport. If you require a passport more urgently (proof required, e.g. flight bookings, medical certificates) you may apply for a temporary passport, the issuing of which depends on whether the above listed requirements are met.
Once your passport has arrived at the German Embassy in Dar es Salaam, you will be informed by email.