How Do I Apply?
- Read the information carefully.
- Compile the necessary documents. If you lack any of the listed documents in the original, read here about how to obtain it.
- Complete the application form
Book an online appointment at your German Mission.
If a name declaration is necessary, you can get two appointments on the same day.
Bring all documents in the original plus one simple (non-certified) copy. Incomplete applications cannot be submitted.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents below are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.
(Please provide the ORIGINAL and ONE PHOTOCOPY FOR EVERY DOCUMENT)
- Application form
- 1 passport photo - ATTENTION: The photo must not be older than 6 months and must meet biometric specifications, see here
- Current passport and if applicable current German ID Card (not applicable for first time applications)
- Birth certificate - A birth certificate in which your parents are not listed cannot be accepted (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English). Tanzanian Certificates have to be handed in with a legalization.
- Marriage Certificate, if if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Certificate of name Change, if applicable
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- If naturalized abroad: naturalization certificate and “Beibehaltungsurkunde”
- If applicable: proof of other citizenships and how you acquired them
- If you are a resident in Tanzania (not a citizen): Residence Permit
As Tanzania forbids dual nationality this hast o be assumed in most cases
- Proof of residence in Tanzania (e.g. electricity bill, water bill or rental agreement)
- A prepaid satchel from a courier company (e.g. DHL with signature on delivery) with your address – unless the passport will be collected directly at the Embassy Dar Es Salaam during collection times which is Tuesday and Thursday at 11:30. Please, note that the German Missions cannot be held responsible for loss or damage due to postal or courier service delivery of the passports.
- Does your current passport show a different place of residence than your current place of residence? Please bring a deregistration letter with you if your last place of residence was in Germany or in another country that has a registration system. For the registration of the new place of residence in Tanzania proof is required, e.g. an electricity bill or a rental agreement (s.above).
- Do you wish to carry a married name? Please submit your marriage and if applicable name certificate. If you do not possess a name certificate, read here whether a name declaration is necessary.
In case you apply for a German passport for the first time and if you are German by descent, you need to add the following documents to your application (original and copy):
- current German and Foreign passports of your parents
if existing: German passports or German ID-card of the German parent at the time of birth
if applicable, marriage certificate of parents (if married in Tanzania the documents need to be legalized. It might be advisable to request a newly issued copy by RITA)
if applicable, your certificate of naturalisation or the certificate of naturalisation of your parents
if applicable, foreign certificate of naturalisation of your parents
if applicable, certificate of acquisition of the German citizenship by declaration
Proof of German citizenship:
Depending on various possible case constellations, you will find the required documents under the corresponding bullet point. If you yourself have a citizenship certificate, a naturalisation certificate or a letter of retention, please refer to the last bullet point.
|You have not become a Tanzanian citizen?
|You became a Tanzanian citizen by “naturalisation”?
||Proof through certificate “determination of citizenship status” issued by the Department of Home Affairs, confirming naturalisation according to “Tanzanian Citizinship Act 1995 sec. 8ff
|You became a Tanzanian citizen by descent?
Please present this document in the original.
If you have documents that indicate the reason for your naturalisation, please also present them (e.g. naturalisation according to Article 116 II Basic Law).
In case your German citizenship was acquired by declaration after 19.08.2020, it is mandatory that you submit proof of retention of your previous citizenship, in the case of Tanzanian citizenship a ”Retention Letter“. If you have not yet applied for this, please contact us.
Submitting the following documents of ancestors from whom you derive German citizenship may facilitate and speed up the application:
- Certificates of citizenship (even after date of validity)
- earlier German passports and/or ID cards
- ”Vertriebenenausweis gem. §15 Bundesvertriebenengesetz“
- ”Spätaussiedlerbescheinigung gem. §15 Bundesvertriebenengesetz“
- German naturalisation certificates
Note: Not all possible cases and scenarios can be represented here. Further documentation might be required depending on your individual case.
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the documents as stated above are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.
The information provided above refers to most routine cases. Due to the complexity of the German passport law and the multitude of conceivable case scenarios each individual case may have to be treated differently and further documents can be requested.
What happens after I submitted my application?
If all required documents are submitted, we will take your fingerprints. After your appointment, we will process your application and order the printing of your passport.
It will take approximately 6-8 weeks for your passport to be produced and delivered to Tanzania. Please make sure to apply at least 3 months before the end of validity of your previous passport. If you require a passport more urgently (proof required, e.g. flight bookings, medical certificates) you may apply for a temporary passport, the issuing of which depends on whether the above listed requirements are met.
Once your passport has arrived at the German Embassy in Dar es Salaam, you will be informed by email. You can pick up your passport personally during the collection time (Tuesday and Thursday at 11:30h) or authorize someone in your stead.