“Personalausweis” - ID Card


Are you interested in applying for a German ID Card (Personalausweis)?
Read here if it would make sense to obtain one abroad.

Personalausweis© Thomas Koehler/Photothek.net

Do I need a German ID card abroad?

No, it is not required to be in possession of a German ID Card abroad.

It only makes sense to have an ID card if you stay in Germany frequently or if you want to use the online identity card function. For further information regarding the online function please refer to www.personalausweisportal.de.

If you do not have a registered residence in Germany, you can choose whether the identity card should show your current foreign address or the entry “keine Hauptwohnung in Deutschland” (no main residence in Germany).

How do I apply?

  • Read the information carefully.
  • Compile the necessary documents.
    If you lack any of the listed documents in the original, read here about how to obtain it.
  • Complete the application form.
  • Book an online appointment at your German Mission.
  • Bring all documents in the original plus one simple (non-certified) copy. Incomplete applications cannot be submitted.

What are the required documents?

  1. Application form
  2. 1 passport photo - ATTENTION: The photo must not be older than 6 months and must meet biometric specifications
  3. Fee
  4. Current passport and if applicable current German ID Card
  5. Does your current passport show a different place of residence than your current place of residence? Please bring a deregistration letter with you if your last place of residence was in Germany or in another country that has a registration system. For the registration of the new place of residence in Tanzania, proof is required, e.g. an electricity bill or a rental agreement.
  6. Tanzanian Residence Permit or Visa (temporary or permanent residence permit)
  7. Birth certificate
    A birth certificate in which your parents are not listed cannot be accepted. Tanzanian Certificates need to be legalized
  8. Proof of surname: Were you born abroad after 01.09.1986? In order to establish your surname, a German birth certificate or name certificate must be submitted. If you possess neither, read here whether a name declaration is necessary.
  9. Do you wish to carry a married name? Please submit your marriage certificate (Tanzanian legalized marriage) and if applicable name certificate. If you do not possess a name certificate, read here whether a name declaration is necessary.

What happens after I submitted my application?

If all required documents are submitted, we will take your fingerprints. After your appointment, we will process your application and order the printing of your ID card.

It will take approximately 6-8 weeks for your ID Card to be produced and delivered to Tanzania.

Once your ID Card has arrived at the German Mission, you will be informed by email and you will need to collect the ID Card and PIN letter in person. Authorizing a third person pick up is not possible.

Forms / Biometric Specifications

Top of page