Visa for spouse reunification

05.02.2024 - Article

General Information

You can apply for a visa to reunite with your spouse,

  • If the spouse is already resident in Germany or
  • If they will be travelling to Germany together with their spouse

and the marital partnership is to be maintained in Germany.

First of all, the marriage must be valid under German law; partners from a marriage-like cohabitation are not entitled to a visa or residence permit.

Partners from a same-sex marriage can also apply for a visa if the marriage is valid under German law.
If Tanzanian nationals are travelling to Germany via third countries, you must find out in advance whether you require a separate entry visa for this third country.

Required Documents

To apply, you will need the following original documents plus one set of copies to present at your appointment at the Embassy. We highly recommend to use the information sheet as a checklist and bring it as a print out for your appointment.
Please pay attention that all Tanzanian documents issued by an authority of the state needs to be legalised.

Please sort the individual sets in the order listed below.
Information Sheet

In your application form (VIDEX) you enter all the information about your entry and your stay in Germany. You must complete this form and print it out once, sign and date it.

If you are a minor, your legal representatives must sign the application and declare their consent.

To the form

A recent biometric photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm with a light background)

Information on biometric photos can be found here

Your passport must be signed and valid for at least one year from the date your visa is issued.
Please note that the document must still have at least two blank pages (if the decision is positive, your visa will be affixed here later).

Do you not have Tanzanian citizenship?

If you are not a Tanzanian citizen, please provide us with your Tanzanian residence permit.

Proof of your residence in Tanzania can be, for example, a copy of your electricity bill, water bill or gas bill.or a rent contract.

For non- Tanzanian nationals: Tanzanian residence permit

If you got married in Tanzania or abroad: Marriage certificate with legalisation by the Embassy in the country of issuance/Hague Apostille and German translation by a sworn translator or

if you got married in Germany: German marriage certificate or extract from the family register

Please note that a legalisation is required to use Tanzanian documents. This confirms to the domestic authorities that the document was actually issued by an official Tanzanian authority.

Further information on legalisations

  1. Copy of the passport / identity card of the spouse living in Germany - if the spouse living in Germany is not a citizen of a European Union member state, a copy of the German residence permit in the passport is also required.
  2. Copy of the registration certificate
  3. Copy of the tenancy agreement (not required if joining the German spouse/ EU-citizen)
  4. Copy of proof of income (e.g. tax return or employment contract showing monthly earnings, not required if joining the German spouse/EU Citizen)

Proof of basic knowledge of the German language in the form of a language certificate at level A1 in accordance with the standards of the ALTE (Association of Language Testers of Europe) certified examination providers (not required for reunification with a non-German EU citizen) - see also BAMF brochure “Nachweis einfacher Deutschkenntnisse beim Nachzug von Ehegatten aus dem Ausland”.

Should you be parents of minor children, you will not have to provide a language certificate. Instead, please provide the (if applicable: legalized) birth certificate(s) oft he minor children and their German passport

Proof of statutory or private health insurance cover must be provided. If a long or permanent stay is planned, some travel health insurance policies may exclude insurance cover in their terms and conditions and are therefore not sufficient. This restriction may also apply to an “incoming” insurance policy, so please ensure that your supplementary insurance policy provides sufficient cover. Further information Health insurance in the national visa procedure

In certain cases, additional documents may be required.

Processing time:

Due to the regular need for approval from the authorities in Germany, you should generally allow six- eight weeks for your visa application to be processed (calculated from the time you submit the complete application documents to the diplomatic mission abroad).

Please do not request a status update – these will not be answered but ignored.



Appointments are made via an online system. It is not possible to make an appointment by telephone. You can find all information here

Top of page