Visa for voluntary service

07.02.2024 - Article

You need a visa for a stay of several months to carry out a Federal Voluntary Service

General Information

The diplomatic mission abroad issues a so-called national visa for voluntary service, which is valid for a maximum of 12 months.

Background information on voluntary service can be found on the following websites, among others:

- Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth

- Federal Office for Family Affairs and Civil Society Functions

- The Federal Volunteer Service

- Federal Working Group Voluntary Social Year

- Federal Ecological Voluntary Service


To apply, you must fulfil the following requirements:

  • Age: Voluntary Social Year (FSJ) and Voluntary Ecological Year (FÖJ) up to the age of 27; Federal Voluntary Service (BFD) without age restriction
  • Language skills: Basic knowledge of the German language (A1)
  • Purpose of the trip: skills acquisition, commitment, cultural openness
  • Duration: between 6 and 24 months, usually one year
  • Living expenses: contract/agreement with details of pocket money, accommodation, meals, social insurance

Required Documents

To apply, you will need the following original documents plus one set of copies to present at your appointment at the Embassy. We highly recommend to use the information sheet as a checklist and bring it as a print out for your appointment.
Please pay attention that all Tanzanian documents issued by an authority of the state needs to be legalised.

Please sort the individual sets in the order listed below.
Information Sheet

In your application form (VIDEX) you enter all the information about your entry and your stay in Germany. You must complete this form and print it out once, sign and date it.

If you are a minor, your legal representatives must sign the application and declare their consent.

To the form

A recent biometric photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm with a light background)

Information on biometric photos can be found here

Your passport must be signed and valid for at least one year from the date your visa is issued.
Please note that the document must still have at least two blank pages (if the decision is positive, your visa will be affixed here later).

Do you not have Tanzanian citizenship?

If you are not a Tanzanian citizen, please provide us with your Tanzanian residence permit.

Proof of your residence in Tanzania can be, for example, a copy of your electricity bill, water bill or gas bill.or a rent contract.

For non- Tanzanian nationals: Tanzanian residence permit

Your contract must be signed by both you and the coordinating organisation/implementing organisation.

The volunteer agreement, which describes the tasks and planned learning outcomes, must be signed by the coordinating organisation and the volunteer.

If the contract or other confirmation from the placement organisation does not include details of your accommodation and meals, please provide additional evidence of your means of subsistence.

Financial means are general proven by the contract/arrangement with the institution in Germany and should be amounting to at least 812,-€ overall (pocket money (302,-€), accommodation (360,-€) and food (150,-€)). Should you receive less by the institution you would additionally have to proof other financial means (by blocked account or formal letter of obligation ‚Verpflichtungserklärung‘))

  • Federal Voluntary Service (BFD): Your contract must be signed by you and the Federal Office of Family Affairs and Civil Society Functions (BAFzA), as well as the placement department, headquarters and, where applicable, by the institution implementing the voluntary service.
  • Voluntary Social Year (FSJ)/Voluntary Ecological Year (FOJ): Your contract must be signed by you and the respective institution, as well as, where applicable, the placement department.
  • European Voluntary Service (EVS): Your contract must be signed by the National Agency for Erasmus+ Youth in Action and the coordinating organisation. The Volunteer Arrangement in which the tasks and planned participant achievements are described must be signed by the coordinating organisation and the volunteer.

Letter of motivation detailing expectations of planned stay and anticipated career and personal benefits, as well as future plans (please provide confirmation of re-employment if applicable)

Curriculum Vitae

Personally drafted complete curriculum vitae, detailing in particular training to date and, where applicable, periods of employment.

Information on the Europass format: Europass.

In principle, basic knowledge of the German language must be demonstrated by presenting an A1 language certificate. Exceptions to this are, for example, persons who obviously speak fluent German. A submitted language certificate must have been issued by an ALTE-certified institution.

If you do not have a basic knowledge of German, you must provide confirmation from the placement centre/agency that language skills will not be required for the time being and that you can acquire language skills through language courses after entering Germany.

Proof of qualification, for example, diplomas, certificates, work log with translation

Persons with statutory health insurance cover are adequately insured from the first day of work. Please provide proof of your statutory insurance cover.
If you arrive before the statutory health insurance cover begins, you must take out appropriate supplementary insurance.
If a long or permanent stay is planned, some travel health insurance policies may exclude insurance cover in their terms and conditions. This restriction may also apply to an “incoming” insurance policy, so please ensure that your supplementary insurance policy provides adequate cover. Further information here

In certain cases, additional documents may be required.

Processing time:

Due to the regular need for approval from the authorities in Germany, you should generally allow eight weeks for your visa application to be processed (calculated from the time you submit the complete application documents to the diplomatic mission abroad).

Please do not request a status update – these will not be answered but ignored.



Appointments are made via an online system. It is not possible to make an appointment by telephone. You can find all information here

Top of page